1. What's the name of your band? What's the origin of that name?
The band is Nights Like Thieves.
2. What are your names, nicknames and corresponding instruments?
Mario J. Rivera: (Singer & guitarist dude)
Steve Smith (Bassist dude)
Keoki Lanza (Drummer dude)
Scott Szikla (guitarist dude)
3. If you could fill a pool with anything but water, what would it be?
Mario: I would leave it empty and skate it!
Keoki: Chocolate pudding or maybe Dr. Pepper
Steve: Moon Pies
4. What’s an average day like for the band?
Mario: Well, since we've been on lock-down for the past few months due to the Corona virus everyone has been doing their own thing, but for myself an average day usually consists of editing videos, writing and recording music.
Keoki: I usually wake up and go to work. Hate my life for about 8 hours then go home. I’ll nap and then wake up wanting to play drums, but then I remember I live in an apartment, so I don’t. Then I’ll watch tv and eat dinner then go to bed only to do it all again the next day.
5. Where/When was your last show, when/where is your next show?
Our last show was at 710 Beach Club in Pacific Beach in San Diego, CA on February 21, 2020 hosted by Riot Scene. Next show will probably be sometime in 2021 when shows are a thing again. Hopefully sooner than later!
6. What are some of the best pranks you as band mates have pulled on each other?
Mario: I light them on fire.
Keoki: I'm really into pantsing.
7. How has your music evolved since you first began playing together?
New members, new ideas, it just gets better and better!
8. What is your favorite part about this line of work? Your least favorite?
Scott: Favorite part is meeting new people & making new friends through playing music.
Least favorite part would be flaky and uncommitted band members (not NLT)
Keoki: I love just being able to create and play songs. I love everything from playing live to writing and recording. I really dislike loading and unloading gear, haha!
9. If you were a superhero, what would your power be?
Mario: Everything that I touch turns into lasagna. Delicious!
Keoki: I’ve always been a big spider man fan, so that would be cool. Or maybe the power of flight just so I wouldn’t need a car.
10. What advice do you have for people who want to form their own bands?
Mario: Do it and have fun with it!
Keoki: Don’t!! Haha, but for real, have fun, write what makes you happy, definitely find band mates you vibe with and always play your best no matter how many people are in the crowd. You never know who’s watching! Scott: Be patient, keep trying & don’t accept failure.
11. Who are some of your favorite musicians?
Keoki: Travis Barker, Derek Grant, Mike Marsh, Alex Camarena, Connor Denis, Benny Greb, Aaron Gillespie just to name a few
Scott: Mike Einziger and Stewart Copeland
Mario: Cedric Bixler, Anthony Green, Nate Barcalow, Daryl Palumbo, Jared Woosley, Chris Carrabba, Post Malone, Ben Weasel, and so many more!
Steve: Dave Grohl
12. What is the craziest thing you've ever received from a fan?
Scott: Teeth retainer
Keoki: Nothing crazy, but a fan cooked a whole buffet style dinner backstage before one of our shows.
13. What song means the most to you and why?
Scott: Magic Eyes
Keoki: I’m gonna go with “Old New Song” because it was the first song I played with the guys when I met them.
Mario: This is a hard one for me, but I'll go with an older song "Come Back Home" because it was written about someone who was very close to me who has passed away.
14. How can people gain access to your music?
15. If you had one thing to say to all your fans, what would it be?
Check out their latest video!